Learn More: Resources for Solutions
Nitrogen-Reducing Wastewater Solutions
- EPA’s Septic Smart Website
- EPA’s Advanced Technology for Onsite Treatment of Wastewater, Products Approved by State
- Suffolk County Technology Website (new models, prices, contractors)
- Connecticut Department of Public Health: Subsurface Sewage
- CTDEEP: Septic System Information
- New England Onsite Wastewater Training Program (University of Rhode Island) and Wastewater Fact Sheets
- Contact your local Public Works Department for more information.
- Case Study: USGS Study of the Effects of Sewering on Nitrogen Loads to the Niantic River, Southeastern Connecticut, 2005-2011
Permeable Reactive Barriers
- EPA’s Citizens Guide to Permeable Reactive Barriers
- PRBs for Cape Cod Infrastructure Guide
- PRB Use in Massachusetts, Research by Woods Hole
- PRB Use in Great Bay, New Hampshire
- Primary Literature on PRB: PRBs Effectiveness, PRBs in Waquoit Bay,
- Lawn Care for Homeowners UCONN
- Long Island Sound Study: What you can do around your Backyard?
- UCONN Extension Advice on Lawn Fertilizer
- UConn Soil Test Request Form & Instructions– Homeowners can send soil samples to the UConn Soil Diagnostic Lab and for $12 receive recommendations on fertilizer types and amounts.
- Example Ordinances and Regulations